Have you ever come across an Instagram profile and within a matter of seconds followed that person or brand on Instagram?
Sometimes I come across a really amazing bio that I hardly have to scroll through a person or brand's feed to know if I want to follow it, because it's just that amazing!
So how on earth did that person capture my attention in a matter of seconds?
Let's look at the key elements that make up a killer Instagram bio.
You get one tiny little circular image to display your personality - so let it shine through.
Choose an image that:
- Is clear - we want to see you;
- Displays your personality; and
- Is a headshot - don't include a photo where you look like a tiny little dot in the background or a picture of your coffee mug or cat for that matter - people won't be able to see you!
Include your email
Your email address is key if you want people to be able to reach you - be it a brand, a contributor, the media, or a fellow Instagrammer just wanting to say hi.
Better yet - you can enable Instagram for business, which will draw key information from your Facebook page and also create a 'CONTACT' button that will link directly to a fresh email with your address in it.
The bio link
Your bio link is the only space Instagram allows users to include clickable links (and the only way viewers will be able to find out more about you!), so make the most of this precious space.
Some of the ways you can use this area:
- Include a link to your website, blog, YouTube account or any other site you want to direct viewers to;
- Update with a direct link each time you publish a new blog post; or
- Promote an event, webinar, or podcast.
Be aware that Instagram favours links that start with 'http://' - so make sure you include this before your web link to avoid your link being taken down.
Make it fun: Inject your personality?
Your bio is a tiny but worthy little space where you can let your personality really shine, all the while letting viewers know what you do. Here are some of the ways you can get creative in your Instagram bio:
- Are you an emoji lover? Include emojis that describe who you are! Coffee lover? Add the coffee mug. Ocean lover? Why not add a wave or a dolphin!
- Play around with spacing to align text vertically in the mobile app; or
- If you use a hashtag consistently, include it in your bio to encourage other users to hashtag wtih you. For example, we include #sheislight in our bio.
We want to hear from you.
Share your top tips for Instagram bios in the comment section below - and leave a link to your Instagram account so we can way hello.
Elise is the founder of She is Light – a global movement of women who know their worth and who are pursuing purpose. Alongside She is Light, Elise is launching Flourish on Instagram - the step-by-step audience building course that teaches you how to get your first 1000 followers in 8 weeks using 10 proven strategies before you launch your blog.
When she's not pouring her heart into everything She is Light, you can find her churning out content for the PR firm she works at full time, spending time with her hilarious, sweet and handsome husband, sipping cups of peppermint tea, or hanging around the closest dog park (wishing she had a long-haired mini dachshund to call her own!).